Sunday, May 1, 2011

MSG?? Seriously!!!???

Ever since I noticed my most favourite dip has MSG in the ingredients, a 'flavour enhancing' chemical - I've been both conflicted and on a mission so suss out other 'foods' with this ancient additive that I thought to be extinct.

Because of course, all the chinese food restaurants advertise that they don't use it - I was under the impression that they started a movement decades ago!  But oh no, I am wrong.  Sadly this is a chemical not at all needed in our diet and 'food' - I am using quotations because MSG is typically added to processed foods, which as we know are not suppose to be part of our regular diets- but have lovingly become our serotonin-inducing comfort foods whilst watching the Canucks win or lose.

Pikka Rinne....grrrrrrr

This is my favourite dip because it tastes so damn good, and I eat a giant plate of veggies with this stuff as dinner on MANY occasions.  Hence my displeasure to find MSG is in it.  Essentially, there are many reports to the 'effects of MSG consumption.  Click on my links for both the truths and they myths if you wish.

Seriously so good, and veggies love it too!
And you may want to take a look at your pantry goodies - most flavoured chips and such will have this MSG added.  Snacking on MSG, not cool.  But I have decided not to give up on Heluva, because this is a meal I so enjoy, so simple to eat a colourful plate of veggies with some kick ass dip.  But I am keenly aware of this MSG guy and his whereabouts - I'm always reading labels, and more so now I am reading ingredient lists too.

I found last week at Whole Paycheque , in their deli case of course, little quinoa and sweet potato with cranberry bites.
Wow these were good!  I pan seared them with, what else of course, Little Creek dressing!  And drizzled some more once they were heated through.
Yummy tummy symbol
Delish!!!  And highly recommended












Lastly, since this week was about polishing off my first bottle of Little Creek, I decided to put together a cabbage salad.  I had picked up a head of cabbage last grocery shop, figuring I would like to try and make some good ol' fashioned cabbage rolls a la mom.  Not so; hard to do without meat.  So I shredded the cabbage, shredded some carrot and shallot and doused in Little Creek.  WHOA, so dang good!  So silly simple.  I will be making another version of this salad for this week, but with purple cabbage and adding navy beans and some sunflower seeds.  YUM!

My kind of lunchtime grub:

Clearly I had to pick up another bottle of the Little Creek dressing (worth every penny), I was enticed to grab a new flavour, Spicy Strawberry.  Are you kidding me?  This is too good to be true.  But I think I will save it for my return from Vegas- I need to decide how best to enjoy; probably a spinach salad, but could be good on an angel hair pasta with roasted tomatoes too....

Time to get out into the warm 19 celsius Sunny Sunday!

Tonights din din.....  whole wheat gnocchi with roasted veg & cashew marinade.

1 comment:

  1. Boo MSG. We've been avoiding it for years. It's crazy how much stuff you'll find it in. But I don't think I've ever seen anything with MSG in it at Whole Paycheck! That might be worth the extra money to shop there...one less thing to search the labels for. MSG has definitely limited us in terms of chip selection (plain is always safe) but who needs that crap in their bodies?

    I wanna see a gnocchi pic!

    ReplyDelete