Friday, June 17, 2011

Back on Track ~ Foodie Bites & Bikram Yoga!

Sometimes you just don't feel like typing - other times, your adventures in culinary delights are less than note-worthy.  Combined with unexpected travel and exhaustion, and that's why I've been MIA from my own blog.

Back in the saddle I go!

Being off track, I've sort of forgotten the timeline of my food efforts, but I will go forth and try to get it right.  On nights when there's slim pickins' in the fridge, you can come up with some tasty concoctions, or create a new puke-dish.  I managed to do both in one dinner attempt.
**WIN > sauteed natural cashews with onions and mushrooms in olive oil. Simple but very yummy
**PUKE > using premade frozen pasta meal thing with the above winning sautee.

So I had to toss the puke-dish, and thankfully had just enough of the cashew sautee to start over and this time I went back to the stand by of easy basmati.
Not exactly riveting photography here, but I really like my mini wok, and everything cooks so darn fast in there!  Basmati takes less than 8 minutes!  But seriously, try sauteying cashews, or any nut really.

I've discovered a new vegan protein alternative.  Vega - Since I've had my bullet, I quite like to use it for shakes- I suggest buying the Europes Best frozen fruits.  That is what you see in the bullet above, the frozen blueberries.  At the bottom is the Vega protein powder, and of course I add vanilla yogurt, water and fresh strawberries.

Over the past few weeks, my most interesting food venture was in Toronto with my brother-in-law Ian.  I was called last minute for a meeting, and chose to stake out a weekend with my sister.  I am always greeted with wine and great snacks at their place:
 Foodies in TO have an seemingly endless fountain of interesting eats to find.  Case in point, Dulse.
This was the leaf variety, from the sea, naturally salty, VERY salty, and a distinct ocean flavour.  Highly nutritional, but worth watching consumption amounts, based on the salt factor.  Super interesting and I suggest you try it!



Of course, sister love will always include a veggie tray, and a cheese tray & fruit.  YUM!



 On my departure day, Ian and I squeezed in a lunch at Linda Restaurant at the shops at Don Mills.  An outdoor upscale mall area.  The photos above are of the appetizer Mieng Kum.  

Pictures are red because we were on the patio, under a red umbrella. 

Such a great appy!  Very unique dish, and very unique to this restaurant.  My kind of eating, slow, tasty, interactive and healthy.  The combination of flavours is phenomenal, with every bite the palette shifts.  The ingredients to choose from are : hot peppers, red onion, lemon/lime cubes, dried shrimp, shredded coconut and crumbled peanuts.  With of course, the special sauce.  Take your picks, place on the aromatic leaf, roll up like a mini wrap, and enjoy! Ridiculously flavourful.  
 I would like to try and recreate this at home, minus the shrimp and if I can't find the leaves, something else creative...Really, it's all about the combination of flavours.  Gotta love Thai food!

Can't say yum enough!  Without the shrimp, it's vegan too!  I followed up our appy with the Emerald Curry- vegan/vegetarian.  Another tasty dish, I love coconut milk, so rich and flavourful.
Wish I could have eaten it all, but I was full - and holy moly, just about super late for my flight.
Funny story - Ian and I had a few bevvies with lunch, naturally, and the sun was blazing, food was amazing, I could have wiled away the day on that patio.  Save for my dang flight.  Sooooo, after I think was 3 maybe 4 circles around the gates, in a hazy attempt to find the Westjet departure,

I had just about no time to spare; I thought for sure, I'd finally taken enough flights that it was my turn to be the one that gets paged!  Phew, not the case- in fact, managed to use the loo in the nic of time.  Because I know you were wondering.
And now since being back, it's been a hectic couple of weeks, and I've been exhausted.  And this week, I am SO happy to say, I am back at Bikram!  2 classes down, and already feeling better.  Stiff, but better.

If you like Dexter, and I think you should, if you don't you're crazy- here is my sisters' killer shirt and crazy Pepper:


Mmmmm, Dexter.....


And here's a funny restaurant, clearly lost in translation- question, would you eat here????


Caio all! Have a great weekend!  More food stuff next week...

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Have you tried shiritaki noodles yet? I know you're not off pasta, but they're a great no-carb alternative and will help bulk up some meals. I like to cut some cherry tomatoes in half and cut up some onion chunks and garlic cloves - roast it all in the oven for about 20 mins, then smash it up in the bottom of a bowl and add in some shiritaki noodles. Yum!! :)
    Don't let the smell throw you off - they smell awful when you open the pkg. Give 'em a good rinse, boil them for a few minutes, then give them another good rinse and they'll lose the smell and take on the flavor of whatever you mix them with! :)
    I haven't used them in a stir fry yet, but think you could add them into your wok with some veggies and a yummy sauce. I'd still rince and boil them before putting them in your wok. They really smell. I know that's not making them sound appitizing at all, but they really are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! Shirataki noodles are soooo versatile, and only 40 calories per package. Soooo good!

    That Thai food looked incredible. Seriously, we need to pick a day for you guys to come over so we can just spend a whole day cooking and experimenting and drinking and chilling on the patio. Soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ladies! I haven't tried them, but I think they're the wet noodles??? Yes they look unapealing, but for me, I use gluten free rice or veg pasta now.

    And I'm going to try Israeli Couscous, it's bigger, and more pasta-ish.

    BUT I will try those Shiritaki nooodles......wellllll drained :)

    ReplyDelete